Dispose of damaged materials Bagged materials can generally be disposed of as ordinary construction waste. Packing mold-contaminated materials in sealed bags before removing them from the containment area is important to minimize the spread of mold spores throughout the building. Building materials and furniture that are contaminated with mold growth and cannot be recovered should be packaged in double bags with 6 thousand polyethylene sheets. These materials can generally be disposed of as ordinary construction waste.
It is important to pack mold-contaminated materials in sealed bags before removing them from the containment area to minimize the spread of mold spores throughout the building. Large items that have heavy mold growth should be covered with polyethylene sheeting and sealed with adhesive tape before being removed from the containment area. A variety of mold cleaning methods are available to remedy damage to building materials and furniture caused by moisture control problems and mold growth. The tanks, hoses and accessories of these vacuums should be thoroughly cleaned and dried after use, as mold and mold spores can stick to surfaces.
It is recommended to wear disposable clothing during a medium or large remediation project to prevent the transfer and spread of mold to clothing and to eliminate skin contact with mold. However, intense mold growth in a relatively small area could release more spores than lighter mold growth over a relatively large area. Studies have shown that ozone, even at high concentrations, is not effective in eliminating airborne mold or surface mold pollution. Clean and disinfect the surface Mold can be cleaned from non-porous materials such as porcelain, hard plastic, glass and metal; solid wood can also be cleaned, since mold only grows on its surface.
Generally, mold can be removed from non-porous (hard) surfaces by cleaning them or scrubbing them with water or water and detergent. If the remediation work alters the mold and mold spores are airborne, the risk of respiratory exposure increases. If you have significant damage and mold growth, the best practice is to hire a reputable company that is licensed and trained to treat water damage and mold remediation. Concern about indoor mold exposure has been increasing as the public realizes that exposure to mold can cause a variety of health effects and symptoms, including allergic reactions.
Investigating the hidden problems of mold can be difficult and will require caution. When the investigation involves disturbing potential mold growth sites, be sure to use personal protective equipment. For example, removing wallpaper can cause a massive release of mold spores that grow on the underside of the paper. It is best to remove all moldy and porous materials (except solid wood), especially if there is intense or prolonged mold growth, such as gypsum panels and floors with paper coating, processed wood products, ceiling tiles, and paper products.
The most practical way to detect a mold problem is to simply use your eyes and nose to detect signs of excess moisture and mold growth. Gloves are needed to protect the skin from contact with mold allergens (and, in some cases, mold toxins) and from cleaning solutions that can irritate.