Use a minimum of PPE when cleaning a small area affected by mold (less than 10 square feet in total). An N-95 respirator covers the nose and mouth, filters 95 percent of airborne particles, and is available at most hardware stores. Disposable hair covers look a lot like paper shower caps. They are needed to prevent mold spores from settling in the hair, which can then be inhaled or transferred to other areas of the house.
Take off your hair covers every time you leave the work area and replace them with a new one before resuming your work. Having the right protection will help protect you from mold spores, whether you're just cleaning mold off surfaces or tearing off drywall, rotting wood, or moldy insulation. Take off your gloves every time you leave the work area so you don't spread mold spores to other areas of the house. Mold is a serious problem in any home and must be eliminated for the health of the occupants and, sometimes, to avoid structural damage.
To find experienced mold removal professionals who offer free consultations in your area, simply follow the link. Companies that specialize in removing and eliminating mold are generally referred to as “mold remediation companies or contractors.” If you do intensive cleaning or remove moldy drywall, insulation, carpets, or any other material in which there is mold, you should use “PPE” equipment. Disposable personal protective equipment is the optimal solution for environmental remediation workers who remove mold from damaged structures. An air-purifying respirator is probably the most important personal protective equipment you can get to get rid of mold, although the other items described here are also important.
An N-95 respirator mask will filter 95 percent of all particles, and this will be sufficient for most mold removal jobs. For more information on specific remediation tactics depending on the size of the contaminated area, OSHA provides a PDF on mold and protective clothing against mold. Just don't walk around your house in the clothes you used to remove mold, as doing so could spread mold to other areas of the house. Of course, a professional will have all the equipment needed to do the job safely, but they can also advise you on the personal protective equipment needed to get rid of mold.